Murrisk : Muirbhach Uisce meaning

a salt marsh by the sea. Murrisk Abbey was an Augustinian Friary, which dates back to

1457 when the O’Malley’s were the main clan of the area.

Prior to this the pilgrimage route up Croagh Patrick approached

from the far side of the mountain, a gentler approach. However

Murrisk soon became established as the traditional base from

which to climb The Reek. The Friary flourished for about three

hundred years, but ceased to function in 1700’s, probably due

to religious persecution. There are several fine windows including

the one pictured here as well as unusual carvings.